ANSTRUTHER SOUTH KENSINGTON ESTATES
MANAGEMENT SCHEME ·
The need for a Scheme
Why the Estate is worth
conserving ... and how this
has been achieved in the past
Its purpose and who it affects
Obligations and conditions
Garden Squares and
Maintaining a register
Sharing the cost
Policies under the Scheme
A brief history of the Estate
This leaflet has been produced by the Executive
Committee of the Anstruther Kensington Estates Management Scheme* representing
enfranchised owners, lessees and the landlord. It is addressed to everyone
affected by the Scheme and is intended to explain in layman’s terms what this
means in practice.
You will have received a copy of the full text of the
Scheme either before it came into effect or at the time you bought your house
or your lease. This leaflet aims to support but not to override the full text
which we urge you to study carefully.
The Anstruther South Kensington Estates
Management Schemes – the Scheme* – provides a framework of management for the
continued conservation of the Estate in the context of the Leasehold Reform
Acts. Its purpose is to benefit owners and leaseholders alike.
Those opposed in principle to the concept of
Estate Management Schemes argue that strong planning policies and an increasing
public awareness of the value and fragility of the built environment are
sufficient to ensure the conservation of the historic estates as they pass out
of the hands of the landlord to individual owners. In reality, planning law
alone cannot be relied upon to provide the sanctions against undesirable
alteration or plain neglect that are provided under the terms of a lease and
which will continue to be provided under the Scheme as leaseholders
Pressures for development and change increase
year by year and the very affluence that can promote conservation can also work
against it: developers strive to maximise profit whilst individual
owners pursue their own aspirations - both may act without due regard either to
the interests of neighbours or to the effect on the area as a whole. Over
time, unchecked individualism and the lack of a wider perspective can lead to
the gradual erosion of architectural quality. Furthermore, without the
obligations imposed under the terms of a lease, there is a danger that the
overall appearance of the area will be a hit-and-miss affair, dependant upon
the circumstance and whim of each individual owner.
Whilst the Scheme certainly does constrict the
freedom of an enfranchised owner, by the same token it also offers protection
from a neighbour’s undesirable development. It will only succeed if it is
thoroughly understood and widely supported.
* To meet a fine legal point raised by the Leasehold Valuation
Tribunal, three identical schemes had to be substituted for the single scheme
first presented for approval. However, the intention is that they should
operate as one. The terms ‘the Scheme’ and ‘the Estate’ used throughout
this leaflet therefore refer to all three schemes/estates.
Why the Estate is worth
conserving . . .
In terms of townscape and architectural quality, the
tenure of this area of South
Kensington by large
estates, Henry Smith’s Charity Estate [now the Wellcome Trust Estate] and the
smaller Alexander Estate [now the Anstruther South Kensington Estates]
adjoining it, had a profound effect on the way in which it was developed. There was, and still remains, a unity of design throughout the Anstruther and
Wellcome estates and, although the style changed in response to the dictates of
taste as time passed, the layout of terraces, squares
and crescents is remarkably consistent.
The architect George Basevi, who had worked for Sir John
Soane from 1810 to 1816, was active on both estates and responsible for much of
their layout: he was first appointed surveyor to the Alexander Estate in 1829
and is known to have designed individual terraces, for instance nos. 18 - 20
You will find a brief history of the Estate on the
last page with suggestions for further background reading.
. . . and how this has been achieved in the past
Successive post-war legislation introduced since the
1947 Town & Country Planning Act has responded to increasing pressure for
development, particularly in valuable inner city areas, and a greater
appreciation of the importance of the built heritage.
Legislation for the Listing of buildings of special
architectural quality or historical significance was introduced in 1962. It
was controlled first by the Historic Buildings Departments of the LCC followed
by the GLC, then by English Heritage and latterly, in our case, through The
Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea. With the exception of Thurloe Close,
Thurloe Lodge, Amberwood House and numbers 2 and 21
Alexander Place, every building
within the Scheme is Listed Grade II.
The quality and importance of the Estate was recognised
in 1968 when it was included in the Thurloe Estate and Smith’s Charity
Conservation Area – the first to be designated by the Royal Borough of
Kensington & Chelsea. In 1981, after constructive consultation with the
Estate and the Brompton Association, the Council adopted a Conservation Area
Policy Statement setting out the elements which lead to the area’s
distinctiveness and the statutory provision and Council policies by which it is
hoped to conserve it.
Estate Management policy
When leasehold enfranchisement
legislation was introduced in 1967 to cover properties below a prescribed
ratable value, the Act recognised the importance of conserving the historic
estates and included provision for setting up Estate Management Schemes.
By that time, the original
Alexander Estate had been split into separate estates. As far as the area
covered by the Scheme is concerned, these were the Alexander and Thurloe Trust
Estates and the Thurloe Estate.
The 1967 Act affected only Thurloe
Close on the Alexander Trust Estate and a Management Scheme for this area was
approved in 1977. The threshold for qualification was raised by further
legislation in 1974 and a second Management Scheme, for the remainder of the
Alexander Trust Estate, was approved in 1982.
The 1993 Leasehold Reform Act
extended enfranchisement to all leasehold properties, regardless of value, and
the decision was
taken to apply for a new comprehensive Estate Management Scheme to cover
properties in all three estates. The aim was to build on and improve the two
existing schemes to provide a vehicle for the continued good management of the
area as a whole.
It was recognised from the outset
that to work efficiently for the benefit of all parties, it was essential for
the Scheme to have the wide support of existing owners and leaseholders and
sufficient ‘teeth’ to be effective. The present Scheme is the result of
constructive negotiation between the landlord’s side and leaseholders and
owners, culminating in a hearing before the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal
supported by the owners and leaseholders association. The Scheme was approved
on the 23 June 1998 and registered with the Royal
Borough of Kensington & Chelsea on 31 July 1998 when it became a Local Land
Charge and therefore binding on each enfranchised property within it.
All owners are
bound by the obligations and conditions contained in the Scheme. This includes
not only enfranchised owners who have bought their
houses under the Leasehold Reform Acts but also the landlord who, unusually,
has agreed to be bound by the terms of the Scheme in respect of leasehold
To enable the
landlord, working with the owners, to continue to regulate the development, use
and appearance of the Estate for the benefit of all once the Landlord has lost
these powers under the terms of a lease.
What are these obligations and conditions and how can they be enforced?
An owner’s obligations are similar to the covenants and
conditions which were contained in his previous long lease and can be enforced
by the landlord.
There are restrictions under the First Schedule as to:
to a property
· general appearance
. . . and positive obligations under the Second
house in good repair
make good any
breaches of an obligation or restriction under the Scheme
pay for the
work which the landlord has had to carry out ‘in breach’
property and reinstate damage
pay for external painting, if this is not carried out by the landlord - see ‘block painting’ below
towards the maintenance of things used in common
consents for alterations from the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea
under Planning and Public Health Acts and the Building Regulations
toward the cost of managing the Scheme
· register change of ownership with
Block painting is the painting of the street elevations
of all the houses in a block of property – normally a terrace – at the same
time and to a uniform colour scheme. It is particularly important on an estate
like this because the intention of the original architects was to present the
development as a series of unified terraces rather than a collection of
individual houses – if you look at Alexander Square, for instance, you will see
that the central pair of houses step forward below a small pediment giving the impression that each of the two terraces is a single
The Scheme ensures that block painting continues to be carried out regularly but it allows the owners and leaseholders in any particular block to choose one of two options for its implementation.
Either they can decide, through a Block Representative, to follow the procedure set out in the Second Schedule and arrange and pay for painting themselves - with the landlord's surveyors acting as monitors - or they can allow the landlord, fulfilling its own obligation under the Third Schedule, to arrange for painting and to charge back the costs to them in the way that happens under the terms of a long lease.
The composition of the eight different Blocks of Property within the Scheme and the way in which Block Representatives are to be appointed are set out under Clause 1 - Definitions - on page 4 of the Scheme.
Management of the Garden Squares
Thurloe and Alexander Squares remain in the ownership of
the landlord but the Scheme empowers it to delegate at its discretion and sets
out a framework for this. Details of the landlord’s representative and the
Block Representatives can be found on the EMS contact list.
Thurloe Square Gardens are overseen by a Garden Committee made up of the landlords
representative and the two EMS Block Representatives for the Square. Information about the management of Alexander Square can be obtained from the Block Representative or the
-and the communal roadways
The Estate includes three communal roadways – Alexander Square, Thurloe Close and the roadway
to Amberwood House
and Thurloe Lodge. Provisions relating to upkeep are set out in the Fifth
Schedule on pages 28-29.
Under the Scheme [Clause 3], the landlord retains
control over all external alterations or additions to enfranchised properties
and its approval must be sought in addition to Planning and Listed Building consents for the work.
Owners are responsible for costs reasonably and properly
incurred by the landlord in connection with applications for approval.
It is important to remember that Listed Building consent is required for all internal as well as
external alterations, whether to the original building fabric or to later work.
The Council’s planning and
conservation officers are generally able to advise on proposals at an early
stage as is the landlord’s professional team.
A set of guidelines is available from the Managing Agents for anyone planning alterations to their house. Those covering external alterations apply to freeholders and leaseholders alike. Only leaseholders are bound by the provisions relating to internal alterations but owners of freehold houses may find them a useful pointer as to what is generally required for Listed Building Consent.
Representation of owners and leaseholders
The Scheme provides that owners together with leaseholders of
unenfranchised property are represented on an Executive Committee established
to enable them to participate in and discuss the operation of the Scheme and to
be consulted by the landlord. Provisions for setting up and running the
committee are set out in the Sixth Schedule on pages 29-33.
Owners and leaseholders are represented through the Thurloe Owners
and Leaseholders Association [TOLA], formerly the Thurloe Leaseholders
The Executive Committee is administered through TOLA. Of its
eleven members, eight represent the owners/
leaseholders - the Owner Members - and three represent the landlord – the
Estate Members. The committee must meet at least once a year.
Each of the eight Owner Members is elected to represent one Block of
property. This has two major advantages: first, it ensures equal
representation from all parts of the Estate and, second, it facilitates
arrangements for block painting since it is likely, though not obligatory, that
an Owner Member will also be a Block Representative.
The names and addresses of
current Committee Members and Block Representatives are listed on a separate
sheet enclosed with this leaflet or available through TOLA - see page 8 for
For the smooth running of the Estate, it is important to have an up
to date and accurate record of ownership. Procedures for
notifying a change of ownership of freehold properties are laid down under
Clause 4 of the Scheme on pages 6-7.
Sharing the Cost
The Scheme provides for the cost of ‘all proper expenses reasonably
incurred by the Executive Committee’ to be met by all the owners in equal
shares. In this context, owners means owners of freehold property and
therefore includes the landlord in the case of the leasehold properties it
Provisions for raising money for the payment of management costs
incurred by the Executive Committee and the landlord are set out under Section
11 of the Second Schedule and can be summarised as follows:
Owners, including the landlord in the case of leasehold properties,
contribute £100 per annum, payable on 31 December in each year – this sum can
be increased if it proves insufficient for the purposes of the Scheme.
The landlord prepares an annual budget for the following accounting
year and submits this for the approval of the Executive Committee.
At the end of each accounting year, the accounts must be made
available for inspection and any surplus carried forward.
Policies under the Scheme
Alterations to the external fabric of the building may not commence without the landlord's consent as well as approval by the Local Authority.
Applications for a license to alter, accompanied by drawings, must be made through the Managing Agents who can advise you on the procedure to follow. Approved proposals will be licensed by the landlord's Solicitors - see address below.
Reasonable professional fees incurred on behalf of the landlord are chargeable to the applicant and the works will be inspected in progress and on completion.
In this context, alteration includes all those small changes which, particularly on the street elevations, have an incremental affect on the general appearance of the whole area.
Even minor alterations to doors, windows, railings, steps and pipework, or the installation of dish aerials, vents and grilles, may require Listed Building consent as well as licensing. Others are subject only to policies adopted by the landlord with the support of the Executive Committee and the co-operation of owners, for example:
· Lighting: location and type of fitting to conform to the policy set for each terrace
· TV aerials: to be sited as unobtrusively as possible
· Cable TV: no wiring to be affixed to the front elevation
· Burglar alarm boxes: to be sited at or below pavement level
· Street numbering and lettering: to be painted by a competent signwriter to the standard pattern designed for the Estate - the Estate Architect can provide free templates - see page 8 for address
· Window boxes: at basement and ground floor level only (excluding first floor balconies and roof terraces).
You should study the detailed guidelines to Estate policies (obtainable from the Managing Agents) before proposing even a minor alteration which might affect the external appearance of your house.
The Council's planning policies are set out in its current Unitary Development Plan (UDP): Part II Chapter 4 - Conservation and Development - covers policies for alterations and extensions to buildings.
A Conservation Area Policy Statement (CAPS) for Thurloe and Smith's Charity North contains specific planning policies for this area. Both documents are obtainable from the Council's Planning Enquiry Office - see page 8 for address - and may be consulted at the TOLA office.
In addition, the TOLA office holds useful information on products and fittings suitable for the repair and reinstatement of original features such as fireplaces, plaster mouldings, windows etc. Two excellent series of design guides are also available there for reference:
· Listed Buildings Guidance Leaflets published by English Heritage, Fortress House, 2 Saville Row,
London W1X 1AB
· Georgian Group Guides published by The Georgian Group, 6 Fitzroy Square,
London W1P 6DX
The Brompton Association represents the views of people living and working in the wider area covered by the Thurloe and Smith's Charity North and Brompton Conservation Areas and is consulted by the Local Authority on applications for Planning and Listed Building consents. The Association may be contacted through the TOLA office.
The Clients Advisory Service of the Royal Institute of British Architects is happy to suggest the names of architects with experience of working with Listed Buildings - see page 8 for address.
A brief history of the Estate
The land has been in the ownership of one family
since the early seventeenth century, passing from Sir William Blake [died 1603]
through the grandson of Oliver Cromwell’s Secretary of State, John Thurloe, to
John Alexander [1762-1831] who began its development in the building boom which
followed the end of the Napoleonic Wars.
Up until 1820, the area had been rural in
character. The village of Brompton, famed for its ‘salubrious’ air, was surrounded
by flourishing market gardens: a country pub stood on the site of Empire House
and Cromwell Road did not exist.
Alexander Square, North Terrace and the eastern
terraces of Alexander Place and South Terrace were built in the first stage of
development between 1820 and 1830 – you can see the dates 1826 and 1827 in the
pediments over the two main terraces of Alexander Square – and form a handsome
composition, possibly designed by the architect George Godwin
and very much in the fashion of the time.
John Alexander’s son, Henry Brown Alexander [died
1885] continued the development westward from Alexander Square under
the direction of George Basevi and the whole scheme was completed by 1848. Although Alexander Place and South Terrace were built in much in the same
style, Thurloe Square, Thurloe
Place and Thurloe Street looked forward to the Nineteenth Century with their grander scale,
more flamboyant design and greater use of stucco. The doors in Thurloe Square, inspired by the Pantheon, are particularly fine.
Some redevelopment took place during the inter-war period - Thurloe Close, Amberwood House and 2 Alexander Place were all built during this time - nevertheless, the historic core of the Estate remains remarkably intact, more or less as it was when it was developed in the first half of the Nineteenth Century.
The history of the family Estate is documented in Volume XLI of the Survey of London – Southern Kensington: Brompton, Chapter V – Alexander Estate. This includes interesting historical maps and photographs, detailed descriptions of the buildings and some excellent drawings of architectural detail. It is essential reading for anyone thinking of carrying out alterations. The book can be found in either of the Council's two public libraries and the chapters relating to the area covered by the Scheme may also be consulted at the TOLA office.